Over the past couple of weeks I have added some growing structures for the tomatoes, squash & cucumbers.
I have harvested lots of strawberries, but for most of them a slug has been getting to them first. I added some natural wood charcoal ash around the raised beds as well as epson salt around the plants which will hopefully take care of the slugs.
I added some stakes to the pole beans, cucumbers & tomatoes and all seem to be shooting up as a result. The blueberries are starting to get their color which has the kids really excited, hopefully they will be ready to go soon.
Here are some pictures of the garden today. The strawberries have been coming along nicely, but more than not the underside is rotting in the mulch. Apparently that’s why they call them ‘straw’berries, because they grow best when mulched with straw. Well I found another trick that I did today that is pretty nifty and may just do the trick. I found the idea on GardenWeb to put plastic forks under each strawberry or group of strawberries and drape the vine through the fork tines keeping the strawberries off of the ground.
Below are pictures of a bell pepper, cucumber, fat blueberry, and a bee hard at work on the cantaloupe. Speaking of cantaloupe I think this is my first fruit. There is a lot going on in there and this bulb seems to be the furthest along, and closest thing to an actual fruit.