Today we got a good rain and a couple of my tomato branches split and fell over. I needed a quick fix so I found an old tripod that came with my first dslr, a Nikon D40. It really isn’t worth the materials it’s made out of, but made a great additional support system for my tomato cages.
Attractive? Maybe not so much
In February I made some DIY hanging mason jar candles for the backyard of our house. With daylight savings I knew we wouldn’t be putting them to good use over the summer so today I bought some impatiens at Lowes and set out to make some hanging plants for the backyard.
Off the bat I know that drainage will be an issue since I’m not drilling a hole in the jars, but the impatiens cost less than a bottle of Gatorade so it’s worth a try. In an effort to prevent a soggy jar I broke up some old concrete that I had laying around and put about two inches of rock in the bottom of the jars. On top of that I put planting soil in and created a space in the center for the impatiens to fit inside. After placing the impatiens inside I filled any remaining spaces with potting soil.
With that I converted diy lanterns into diy hanging plants.
Back yard hot tub dripping water into the swimming pool in Sea Island.
After 3 1/2 weeks of growing grass in my backyard, we are making some progress. The problem areas are still problem areas, but they have good reason to be so. They are starting to fill in but it’s very obvious that in my situation, the new grass literally only grows from the aerated holes. Not much going in the areas that may have filled in because of ponding water. Below is a picture showing the progression over the 3.5 weeks. It really doesn’t look drastically different from the October 5 shot, but that’s because I mowed it for the first time today. In most areas it was super thick and getting too tall, so I’m hoping it will continue to fill in.
Here is a shot from a different angle
Here are links to the previous posts documenting this grassy story:
Tomorrow will mark two weeks from the day I aerated and seeded my backyard with fescue grass. I started out with weeds and dirt, and am making my way towards some lush green goodness. Here is a picture showing you the progress.
There are several things that I have done differently this time around. For one I have the area roped off which has done a pretty good job of keeping the kids and dog out of the area. That and consistent watering have probably been the biggest factors. I wrote all about the initial process here https://carsonmatthewsblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/growing-grass-in-atlanta/ explaining every step plus the ingredients. Hopefully the spots will fill in over the next few weeks before the leaves really start falling.